Thursday, November 15, 2012

Gym Intimidation

The gym can be a very intimidating place!

In fact it's one of the main reasons why many stay out of a gym.

Whether it's the fact that it feels very segregated with men by the weights and women on cardio
or there are so many machines and the chance that you know how to work one is slim to none
or you notice all the females with make-up and tight clothes or men with cut shirts and lifting as heavy as possible...Whatever it is, you are letting that factor stop you from focusing on your own well-being.

The gym is not there for you to make a scene. It is there to help you get into shape.
When I walk into a gym, I'm pretty sure some people think I'm the meanest, too serious or way to into myself etc. while in the gym...but really I am just focused. I create a playlist that gets my adrenaline going and focus on what I need to do so I can get out as quickly as possible. I move from one machine to the next and don't talk to anyone unless they say hi because this is MY time. I'm not there to socialize, show off, look pretty (in fact hopefully the opposite cause then it's a good workout), or anything else other than get my workout done.

I'm not going to lie, all of the examples that keep people out of the gym are there for a reason and it's typical to find. That's why it's important to focus on WHY you are there and stick to that goal.

Now for equipment worries...I started by researching an appealing workout routine on www.bodybuilder.com (GREAT site for everyone, not just a bodybuilder). All workouts on that site have a picture of the machine to use and how to appropriately use the machine next to the exercise. I printed it out and wrote down key words that helped me understand how to do the exercise. Once I did that, I took it with me to the gym and went through it slowly. If there was a machine I couldn't find or was afraid to use alone, I ASKED. There are trainers and staff that are required to know how to use everything and know modifications so use that to your advantage. Also, anyone can use any of the machines. There isn't any one machine designated specifically for a man or woman. It's there for everyone so don't feel like you can't use a machine because of stereotype. Everyone starts somewhere but believe me once you are comfortable with the gym the rest is fun!

So get in there and try something new in the gym each day! Focus on yourself and use the exercise classes, websites and faculty to help better understand how to use a gym.

Don't forget, have some FUN!

Mere

No comments:

Post a Comment